Thursday, January 8

life in roma

is awesome!

We've had beautiful weather here, but yesterday and today its been a little rainy. Soon, we'll be getting ready for our first trip to Siena, Arezzo & Assisi. Each trip will be fun/learning trips. So we'll be expected to know things that we've learned on the trips at sights, but will have lots of free time for exploring as well.

So lets see - classes have begun and things are starting to get crazy! My classes are fun - they meet all over the city! With Christian Rome, we'll be going to different churches to see how Jesus is represented in them - pretty awesome. I haven't had my Art & Arch class yet, but I'll be sure to let you know about that. Today was my first Philosophy class - it was designed just for us Catholic students beacuse there are only four of us and we needed a specific type of class. We'll be reading and discussing lots of philosophers and then going to museums etc to examine how beauty and happiness are reflected in paintings and statues.

My Italian class is hard because she won't speak in English to us - actually, I'm not sure she knows much English. It goes by pretty quickly even though its a 3 hour class.

My host mom is an amazing cook - last night for dinner she made lasagne with pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and turkey. It sounds odd, but it was delicious!

For breakfast, we have cake and cookies with our coffee, which is SO opposite how it is in America! Then for lunch we have something small such as half a sandwich, fruit, etc.

We've been snacking mid-morning and late afternoon because its hard to folllow their patterns - they don't even eat dinner until 9/10 at night.


So much more to talk about - I'll blog soon. I haven't gotten an adaptor yet so I can't get on here as often.

xoxo

2 comments:

Vince said...

From the pix, it looks like you've seen a lot of Rome in just a couple of days. Good for you! The recipe of your "Mama di Casa" sounds good --we'll have to try it.
Keep enjoying the experience -- it's a once-in-a-lifetime. Even when you return later in your life, it will be different. Love you.

MaryJane said...

I'm glad to hear your classes are going well. I added "world clock" as a widget and it's so weird to see what time of day it is for you compared to here.

Amanda and I went to Smoothie King last night. I kept thinking that it was too weird that you weren't with us. I'm still reading "Eat, Pray, Love" and find myself falling more and more in love with Rome.

Love you lots. Thinking of you often.

-Caitlin